< Return

Chapel of Le Nant Robert

The chapel was founded in 1762 by the residents of Le Nant Robert. It is placed under the patronage of Saint Anne, the mother of Mary, and of Saint John the Baptist, the cousin of Jesus.

With the exception of the overhanging roof-edge just above the main entrance, added during the XX century to protect from humidity, the chapel still looks much as it was in the old days. There are two little windows on each side of the doorway. Several renovations took place during the 1950's (1955 and 1958), also in1994. The chapel interior was repainted in 2000.

The chapel has a steeple with a quadrilateral base. Hanging in the steeple is the bell, cast in the Meunier foundry in Chambéry in 1819. François Rey was the bell's godfather and Marie-Justine Rochet its godmother.

Inside the chapel the central painting, dating from the XVIII century, is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and Saint François de Sales, who was Bishop of Annecy during the XVII century. Above it is a crowned Virgin and Child, surrounded by cherubims. There is also a statue of the Virgin and Child with two columns on either side, two candelabras and two kneeling cherubs. Above is a brightly painted altar cross, probably dating back to the XVIII century.
Finally, you will notice the impressive Stations of the Cross, drawn in Indian ink. The artist is believed to have been Napoléon Thom.